LoneStarCon 3 is delighted to announce the LoneStarCon 3 Pulp-O-Mizer Competition. The aim of the competition is to design a pulp magazine-style cover promoting LoneStarCon 3 (as shown in the example below), using the Pulp-O-Mizer web application.
The Pulp-O-Mizer has been designed by artist Bradley W. Schenck, and has gone viral since its launch in early February, 2013. Over 160,000 hits for the Pulp-O-Mizer are showing up on Google after just two weeks, and the free application has been featured in coverage from Tor, IO9, CNet, Boing Boing and many more. Authors are also getting in on the act and creating new covers for their work - including Jo Walton and David Gerrold.
We are delighted to be joining up with Bradley, and to have him on our judging panel. Subject to work commitments, Bradley also hopes to be at LoneStarCon 3 in person, to take part in Worldcon and to talk about his love of retro futures, as featured in Retropolis. If you are as taken with his visions as we are, you will also want to know that you can buy a wide variety of merchandise through Bradley's website, including posters, prints, coffee mugs, and much more.
How to Enter
The Pulp-O-Mizer competition is open to all LoneStarCon 3 members and staff, excepting staff working at Divisional level or in the Chair's Office.
- The aim of the competition is to design a pulp cover which promotes LoneStarCon 3 and the spirit of what makes Worldcon special, using the special LoneStarCon 3 magazine title shown above.
- Entries must be emailed to us as described below by May 31, 2013.
- The winner and runners-up will be selected by a judging panel including members of the LoneStarCon 3 committee along with Bradley Schenck, inventor of the Pulp-O-Mizer. Artworks will be judged anonymously to ensure an unbiased selection.
- The winning entry will be featured in the LoneStarCon 3 Souvenir Book, and the winner and runners-up will also be featured in an exhibit at the convention.
How to Make Your Cover
To access the Pulp-O-Mizer and make your unique cover, please follow these steps.
- Go to the special Worldcon login page on the Pulp-O-Mizer site.
- Enter the user name "lonestarcon3" and the password "w0rldc0N", and log in.
- You will now be taken to the Pulp-O-Mizer page, but with the LoneStarCon 3 option unlocked and visible as the last option in the "Choose Your Magazine Title" section. Note: in some browsers you may need to clear your cache before the extra option appears, if you have used the Pulp-O-Mizer before.
- Now design your cover - you can adjust the images and text however you like, but you must keep the special LoneStarCon 3 title section.
- When you are done, use the option near the bottom of the control panel to "Save the settings for your cover". We will need these settings if you win, so we can re-create and render your design in high resolution. Note that the settings are saved to your local machine, not the Pulp-O-Mizer server.
- Under the section "Get a Web Resolution Image", save a copy of your cover. Use the "Render Rectangular Image" option, and save the preview image to your local machine.
- Now, mail your image to use at pulp@LoneStarCon3.org. Include your name and your LoneStarCon 3 Membership ID. Remember, only LoneStarCon 3 members are eligible to enter!.